The Gimp is a free open source image editing application that can do many things to suit your needs, whether they be making a gig poster for a local concert, or touching up a few family photos, the Gimp can do it. Here is a top 30 list of Gimp tutorials hand selected by Gimper and SGlider12 that will help you to add many new Gimp design techniques to your arsenal.
1) Gimp Galaxy by abduzeedo.com
Fabio Sasso at Abduzeedo presents us with a great little space illustration done completely in the Gimp. Link.
2) Leopard’s Aurora Borealis Wallpaper by abduzeedo.com
Fabio Sasso at Abduzeedo presents us with yet another great tutorial on how to create the Aurora Borealis Leopard wallpaper in Gimp. Link.
3) Gold Text Effect by gimpology.com
Kasrak at Gimpology.com presents us with a great tutorial adapted from a Photoshop tutorial on how to create a slick golden text effect in Gimp. Link.
4) Create a Worn Vintage Popart Design by sglider12.blogspot.com
Sarah Davison at SGlider12′s Blog presents us with a neat way to create a worn and vintage effect using cut out images and patterns in the Gimp. Link.
5) Vista-Like Wallpaper by gimpusers.com
The guys at gimpusers.com show us a way to create a very cool way to create a Vista-like wallpaper in Gimp. Link.
6) Advanced Photo Separation by blackmoondev.com
The guys at BlackMoon Design teach us a neat way to separate an object in a photo from its background using the Gimp. Link.
7) Cool Circle Light Effect by gimp-tutorials.net
Starlight86 at Gimp-Tutorials teaches us how to create a cool circle light effect in the Gimp inspired from a James White Photoshop tutorial. Link.
8 ) Make an Extremely Real Letter by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper165 at Gimp-Tutorials teaches us how to create an extremely real letter effect in the Gimp based off of a Photoshop tutorial using textures. Link.
9) Creative Composition by gimp-tutorials.net
Graphic designer Jacob Philpott at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to make a creative composition using an eye stock with the Gimp. Link.
10) Colorful Glowing Text Effect by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to make a colorful glowing text effect with the Gimp using gradient and blur effects. Link.
11) Split-Toning by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to perform split-toning in Gimp based off of Rore’s split-toning tutorial from Gimp’s Flickr group. This will allow you to have certain colors for highlights and certain colors for shadows. Link.
12) Fun With Light by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials teaches us how to transform an ordinary unlit light bulb stock image into a lit bulb. Link.
13) Super Slick Dusky Lighting Effects by gimp-tutorials.net
Sick at Gimp-Tutorials teaches us how to create some super slick lighting effects in the Gimp based off of a Photoshop tutorial by Collis from PSDTuts. Link.
14) Contaminated Effect by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to create an awesome illustration entitled “Contaminated” using various overlay techniques, the paths tool, and a few stock images. Link.
15) MSNBC-Style Effect by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to create an awesome MSNBC-style effect in the Gimp using gradients, filters, and masks. Link.
16) Adding Life into a Flat Photograph by gimp-tutorials.net
Gimper at Gimp-Tutorials presents us with an awesome tutorial on how to add life to a flat photograph using overlays, layermasks, and a few stock photos. Link.
17) Cool Typography Design Poster by puteraaladin.blogspot.com
Starlight86 at PA Blog shows us how to create an amazing typography poster in the Gimp inpsired by the work of Scott Hansen. Link.
18) Cool Shapes Effect by puteraaladin.blogspot.com
Starlight86 at PA Blog shows us how to create some cool shapes in Gimp inspired by some work of Fabio Sasso at Abduzeedo and Andy Gilmore. Link.
19) Light-Painting by puteraaladin.blogspot.com
Starlight86 at PA Blog shows us how to create a neat light-painting in Gimp inspired by a Photoshop tutorial by Abduzeedo. Link.
20) Creating a Fireball & Explosion Effect by gimp-tutorials.net
Starlight86 at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to create a fantastic fireball complete with an explosion in the Gimp using a couple of brushes, stocks, and layer masks. Link.
21) Design a Dramatic Winged Dragon by gimp-tutorials.net
SGlider12 at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to create a fantasy image in the Gimp by taking photos of a baby iguana and a bat and combing them to create a full-fledged dragon inspired by a Photoshop tutorial. Link.
22) Beautiful Parrot Photomanipulation by gimp-tutorials.net
Starlight86 at Gimp-Tutorials teaches us how to make a colorful photomanipulation using a parrot stock, some flower stocks, and some textures. Link.
23) Splattered Vector & Photography Mash-Up by gimp-tutorials.net
SGlider12 at Gimp-Tutorials shows us how to create a splattered vector and photography mash-up with the Gimp by using the paths tool, dodge and burn tool, and a few filters. Link.
23) Splash Screen: Create a Colorful Stream of Light by gimpusers.com
Bernhard Stockmann at Gimp Users teaches us how to create a cool colorful stream of light illustration for a Gimp splash screen. Link.
24) Ultimate Gimp Planet Tutorial by gtuts.com
Gtuts.com teaches us how to create the ultimate planet in the Gimp using layer styles, masks, and renders. Link.
25) 3D Pixel Stretch Effect by gimpology.com
Kasrak at Gimpology shows us how to create a 3D pixel stretch effect using only a single line of pixels from any image. Link.
26) Gimp Path Tool Guide by limn.0fees.net
LightningIsMyName at LightningIsMyName’s Website presents us with an extensive guide to any and all things path tool. Link.
27) Painting a Peacock by kalaalog.com
KalaaLog teaches us how to paint a magnificent peacock in the Gimp using the brush tool. A drawing tablet may be needed. Link.
28) 3D Realistic Rubik’s Cube by bulbing.blogspot.com
Just a Little Bulbing shows us how to create a 3D realistic-looking Rubik’s Cube in the Gimp using checkerboards and cubemaps. Link.
29) Gimp Hotkeys by gimpusers.com
GimpUsers presents us with a little guide to the Gimp hotkeys. Pretty useful guide. Link.
30) Glow Effect Tutorial
In this tutorial I will make use of different overlaid layers mixed with radial gradient tool to achieve and awesome light effect, started off as a experiment turned out to be a cool effect and worth a tutorial Link.
31) Mac style Wallpaper in GIMP tutorial
Great Wallpaper tutorial on Psdtuts.com by Collis for PS re-created with Gimp using different techniques to achieve the same effect.Link.
31) Vista Button
Sleek looking vista like button great for a website.Link.
32) Blog design layout in GIMP
Designing a blog layout using the GIMP.Link.
33) Gimp Tutorial: Experiment on 3D Text Effect in Gimp
Designing a blog layout using the GIMP.Link.
34)Gimp Sin City Tutorial
This tutorial has been converted from the original Photoshop tutorial into Gimp.Link.
35)Create a Fiery Space Explosion
Create a fiery space explosion in Gimp based on a tutorial by Collis at PSDTuts.Link.
36)Gimp Tutorial: Awesome Bokeh Effect in Gimp
Abduzeedo tutorial for making bokeh digital effect in Photoshop redone using the GIMPLink.